Responsible Gambling Guide
Our commitment towards responsible gambling:
St David's Hospice Care Lottery is committed to ensuring that information about how to gamble responsibly and how to access information and help in respect of problem gambling is readily available to all.
Keeping your gambling under control:
The majority of people do gamble responsibly and gambling in moderation is okay, but it may help you to keep your gambling under control by:
- Remembering that you are taking part for fun and not as a means of investing your money
- Setting strict limits on how much time and money you're going to spend, before playing
- Quitting while you're ahead
- Only gambling with money that you can afford to lose
- Not spending more money on gambling in the hope that you will win back any money that you've already lost
- Keeping up other interests and hobbies and not letting gambling take over your life
- Not gambling in order to escape from stress or boredom.
How to identify that gambling is becoming a problem:
For some people however, gambling can become a problem. If you are concerned about the amount you are gambling and feel it is taking over your life, then asking yourself the following questions may help you assess whether or not gambling is becoming a problem:
- Have others ever criticised your gambling?
- Have you lied to cover up the amount you have gambled or the time you have spent doing it?
- Do arguments, frustrations or disappointments make you want to gamble?
- Do you gamble alone for long periods?
- Do you stay away from work or college to gamble?
- Do you gamble to escape from a boring or unhappy life?
- Are you reluctant to spend 'gambling money' on anything else?
- Have you lost interest in your family, friends or pastimes due to gambling?
- After losing, do you feel you must try to win back your losses as soon as possible?
- When gambling and you run out of money, do you feel lost, in despair and need to gamble again as soon as possible?
- Do you gamble until your last penny is gone?
- Have you lied, stolen or borrowed just to get money to gamble or to pay gambling debts?
- Do you feel depressed or even suicidal because of your gambling?
If 'yes' is the answer to some of these questions, then it is likely that a gambling problem exists.
You may also wish to consider whether a friend or relative might have a gambling problem?
How to get more information and help about problem gambling:
If you feel you have a problem with gambling, visit www.begambleaware.org or call the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133.
In 2019, £368,000 was raised from ticket sales in our weekly lotteries and seasonal Bumper Draws, with 31.0% being spent on Prizes, 26.1% spent on Expenses and a fantastic 42.9% used to provide bespoke, individual care for all our patients and their families. This translated to a fantastic £158,000!
Our weekly lottery and seasonal Bumper Draws are a vital source of income and we thank you for supporting our fundraising effort by joining. St David’s Hospice Care is committed to providing bespoke, individual ‘free’ care for all our patients and their families. We work alongside patients and hope to support them at the most difficult times of their lives. We aim to ensure that patients have choice about the care they receive whilst maintaining dignity throughout their journey is paramount to us.
We supply a whole host of ‘free’ services to ensure the best possible care is available but that does come at a financial cost of over £8 million pounds per annum. Our website explains more at www.stdavidshospicecare.org The St David’s Hospice Care Lottery is promoted by: St David’s Hospice Care, Blacket Avenue, Newport, NP20 6NH (Registered Charity No. 1010576). Responsible person: Kris Broome.
£1 per entry. All Proceeds go to St David’s Foundation Hospice Care. Must be 16 or over to play. Underage gambling is an offence. Full terms and conditions can be found by clicking here.
In 2019, the likelihood of winning a prize was, on average, 1 in 265 in our regular weekly lotteries and 1 in 1,044 in our seasonal Bumper Draws.
This web page is hosted by StarVale Management & Technologies Limited which is licensed and regulated in Great Britain by the Gambling Commission under account number 3273.
If you feel you have a problem with gambling, visit www.begambleaware.org or call the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133